The Aldeburgh-Domburg No. 1 Cable
This was a 4 core, coil-loaded, telephone cable manufactured by Siemens Brothers of Woolwich and laid by the company's cableship Faraday (1). The Aldeburgh end was landed on the 27th June 1922, whilst the Domburg end was landed on the 8th July 1922.
At the time of laying it was the world's longest coil-loaded submarine cable having a length of 82.470 nautical miles.Each of the four conductors of the cable weighed 160 lbs per nautical mile,and the Gutta Percha dielectric of each conductor weighed 150 lbs per nautical mile.
Further information to be added soon.
Page last updated 28th December 2014.