The small seaside town of Aldeburgh, which is located on the east coast of Suffolk, UK, has played a significant role in international telephony since 1922
This web site provides a brief history of the Aldeburgh Telephone Repeater Station and the submarine cables laid between Aldeburgh (UK) and Domburg (NL) during the period 1922 to 1989. The website also covers some other areas of telecommunications in which the author has been involved.
1922The first submarine telephone cable between Aldeburgh and Domburg, which is situated on the island of Walcheren in the Netherlands, was laid. in 1922. At the time of laying the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.1 cable was the worlds longest coil-loaded submarine cable having a length of 82.329 Nautical Miles (1 Nautical Mile = 1.85200 kilometres). The cable was terminated in a temporary hut on land partly occupied by the former Aldeburgh Drill Hall.
At the time the land was owned by Captain F C U Vernon-Wentworth CB of Blackheath and rented by the Territorial Army Association of the County of Suffolk.
1923In 1923 His Majesty's Postmaster General purchased the land from Captain Vernon-Wentworth for the purpose of building a Telephone Repeater Station (TRS) on the site. The conveyance shows that the land changed hands for the princely sum of 50 GB Pounds.
1924The present TRS building (minus the residential flat at second floor level) was completed in 1924. Also in that year, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No. 2 cable was laid.
1925The Telephone Repeater Station was brought into service in 1925. The purpose of the TRS was to repeat, or amplify, the international telephone circuits at the junction of the submarine and land cables.
The TRS building at that time consisted of a basement which housed the central heating boiler and the cable chamber; a ground floor that accommodated the power plant and batteries and a first floor that housed the repeater room and staff accommodation.
The TRS building is situated within 50 metres of the sea so the submarine cables were brought in direct from the beach and led into the building through an underground cable chamber opening out from the basement and thence up to the repeater room.
On the land side, the repeater station was served by 2 pairs of 600 lb per mile overhead copper wires and the Aldeburgh - Ipswich No.1 underground cable.
Together the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.1 and Aldeburgh - Domburg No.2 cables provided a total of 15 circuits. This was greater than the total number of pairs in the cables and was achieved by using phantom working.
The construction of the TRS pre-dates the establishment of the National Grid for electricity distribution and at that time the town of Aldeburgh had its own electricity generating station (the building now houses the Aldeburgh Community Centre). In order to be fully independent of the town's electricity supply, the TRS had its own power plant. The Telephone Repeater Station was brought into service in 1925.
1926In 1926 the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.3 cable was laid and together with the existing Aldeburgh - Domburg cables this increased the number of circuits to 27.
1927In 1927, the TRS building was extended to provide a residential flat at second floor level.
1929In 1929, increasing demand for telephone service to Europe was met by an intensive system of phantom working on the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.2 and Aldeburgh - Domburg No.3 cables which brought the number of circuits up to 35.
1932In 1932, six 1 + 1 carrier systems were installed to work over the side circuits of these cables.
1937The inevitable deterioration in the degree of balance of the cables, which occurred when repairs were carried out, necessitated the subsequent withdrawal from service of the super-phantom circuits. This together with the demand for new circuits, made the laying of further cables essential. It had also become uneconomic to retain the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.1 cable in service and this was recovered in 1937, thus allowing the Aldeburgh - Domburg No. 4 and Aldeburgh - Domburg No. 5 cables to be laid over the same route.
1940Following the enemy occupation of the Netherlands in 1940, the TRS was closed and the submarine cables were cut in May of that year on the beach and out at sea.
1942In December 1942, Aldeburgh Telephone Exchange was destroyed by enemy action.
1943In January 1943, a temporary Telephone Exchange was opened in what later became the welfare room of the TRS. It remained there until 1965 when an automatic exchange opened in Alde Lane.
1944Following the invasion of Europe by allied forces in 1944, the station was reopened for military purposes and the submarine cables were repaired.
1945On Monday 16th April 1945 at 7.00pm HMTS Monarch (3) was struck by a mine whilst on passage from the completion of the repair to the Aldeburgh-Domburg No. 2 cable, to Hollesley Bay, where it was the intention to anchor for the night. The vessel sank about one and a half hours later. Three of the crew of seventy-two were lost. A copy of a letter from the Commander of HMTS Monarch (3) to the Post Master General, reporting the loss of the ship can be found here. Later thoughts are that the ship was hit by a torpedo from a German U-boat. Further details will be added shortly.
1947In 1947, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.6 cable was laid.
1950In 1950, four submerged repeaters were installed in the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.4 cable. Together with new terminal equipment this provided 60 circuits on the cable.
1951In 1951, four submerged repeaters were installed in the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.5 cable. Together with new terminal equipment this provided 60 circuits on the cable.
1957In 1957, a single uni-directional repeater was installed in the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.6 cable. This increased the cable capacity from 84 to 180 circuits. At the time, this was the largest capacity submarine system in the world. The system could revert to 84 circuit operation in the event of repeater failure.
1972In 1972, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.5 cable was taken out of service and the cable abandoned.
Also in 1972, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.7 cable was laid. This was a 1.47 inch coaxial cable manufactured by Standard Telephones and Cables Limited and laid by the cable ships CS Alert and DG Bast.
1984In 1984, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.8 cable was laid. This was a 1.47 inch coaxial cable manufactured by Standard Telephones and Cables Limited and laid by the cableships CS Alert (main lay), CS Iris (Aldeburgh shore end) and DG Bast (Domburg shore end).
1989In 1989, the Aldeburgh - Domburg No.9 cable was laid.
2005In 2005, the last submarine cable, (Aldeburgh - Domburg No.9) still operating from Aldeburgh TRS was withdrawn from service.
Further information to be added soon.
Page last updated 26th February 2018